Black Wolf Books, Inc.

Saturday, September 17, 2005

“1849: Texas” excerpt

There’s not much to report on publishing progress with my book: Man”, so I am posting an excerpt from my latest endeavor “1849: Texas” by . Hope you like it.

* * * * *


Lana had gotten ready for bed and opened the windows to let the evening breeze through. Crawling under the covers, she lay there, staring at the ceiling as she thought about the conversation over dinner. There were so many things Liam hadn’t told her about his family. She didn’t know he was wealthy or that his family had slaves. That bothered her most of all. First Two Hawks and now Liam seemed to think slavery was all right. Maybe she was the one who was wrong.

Turning over on her side, wishing her mind would hush, she heard footsteps outside on the porch. There was a soft knock on their door, which Liam answered.

“Dad, come in.”

“No. Come outside where we can talk.”

“All right.” Liam closed the door behind him and the two men stood beside the bedroom window, unaware that it was open.

“Are your quarters all right?”

“Yes, son. Everything is fine. Your mother and sister have turned in for the night.”

“Good. You sure you don’t want to come in?”

“No. I don’t want to disturb your wife.”

“What is it, Dad? Something’s on your mind.”

“Yes, there is.” Patrick looked steadily at his son for a moment before he began. “You know how very proud I am of you. West Point. Army officer. I don’t have any buttons left on my shirts. Someone says your name or asks about you and I just pop them off.”

The two men chuckled at that. “But, your mother and I are concerned — very concerned — about your choice for a wife.”

“Concerned? Why?” Liam asked, sounding worried.

“She’s not the type we’d hoped you’d marry.”

“Not the type? What type was I suppose to marry?” Liam was irritated.

“Someone with more than an eighth grade education. Someone raised around culture and society who could help you further a political career once you left the Army.”

“Oh, for goodness sake!” Liam looked across the compound and then back to his father. “Does the fact that I’m so in love with her, I can’t breathe make any difference at all to you?”

“So, you love her. Good for you. But you didn’t have to marry her. Have your fling here in Texas and then, when you get home, marry the right woman.”

“My fling!” Liam was past irritated and now at full-bore angry. “How dare you talk about her like that!”

“Liam, face it. She was with the Apaches for over a week. You know she was raped. Had to be.”

“I know for a fact that she wasn’t. I am the first man she’s ever had.”

“If you say so.”

“You sound like you don’t believe me,” Liam growled.

“I think you’d say anything to defend your choice,” his father countered heatedly.

“I need to go in now, before I say something we’ll both regret,” Liam snarled.

“Son, I’m just looking out for your best interest.”

“Good night!” Liam stepped into his house, slamming the door behind him. Cursing under his breath, he came into the bedroom. Lana was sitting up, knees to chin, arms around knees, crying her eyes out.

“Oh, damn. Did you hear that?” he asked. She nodded and pointed to the open window. Liam threw his head back, furious at his father. Walking over to her, he sat on the edge of the bed and drew her to him.

“Honey, I am so sorry. So terribly sorry. My father can be such an insensitive, belligerent bully. He had no right to say those things about you. And I promise, I will get this all straightened out in the morning.”

He lifted her chin so he could look into her eyes. “Please, Lana, please don’t let them make you cry. I can’t stand it.”

Grabbing his shirt with both hands, she jumped into his arms, sobbing. “They hate me. They all hate me. Your mother — Mary — all of them. I’m not good enough for you. I wish I was dead!”

Liam rocked her back and forth, holding her while she cried. His family would pay, and pay dearly, for hurting her like this. No one made her cry. No one.

“Sweetheart, baby, if you die, then kill me, too. Because I can’t live without you. Do you hear me? I love you so much, so very much. And they’re not good enough for you. I’m sorry they ever showed up.”

“You shouldn’t say that,” she huff-huffed against his chest. “They’re your family. They love you.”

“You’re my family,” he whispered. He laid her back on the bed and began loving her tears away with his caresses and kisses and velvet hands in the night.

1 Comments:

Blogger EKENYERENGOZI Michael Chima said...

The characterization is good.The plot will be the burden of your story.

Writing a novel set in America of the past will require a lot of research in all the aspects of America in the 19th century.

It is no small task.

I have written my American "Animal Farm" entitled, "Revolt in the Ranch" and I read so many books on American history such as "The Vineyard of Liberty" by McGregory Burns.

I wish you all the best.

11:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home