Black Wolf Books, Inc.

Saturday, November 19, 2005

One Last Edit

While I am waiting on one last edit for: Man”, I thought I’d post one of my new website pages my editor is currently going over.

Why do I write about Texas?

Well, the adage is “write what you know.” I went to college in Texas, lived in Austin for a short while, married in Texas to a Texan, moved away for several years and now live in Texas again. I love Texas.

But, more than that, my ancestors have left their stamp all over this great state. One of my great, great grandfathers was the oldest living Confederate soldier in Shackelford County, Texas. He fought at Gettysburg and laid down arms at the “Surrender.” After the Civil War, he hauled buffalo hides, lumber and provisions between Old Ft. Griffin and Ft. Worth. His son was run out of cotton farming and into bankruptcy by boll weevils and the “Dust Bowl,” as his letters to the bank will attest.

My husband was born and raised north of Abilene, at the base of the panhandle. My second series, "T’on Ma," is set around that area, including Double Mountain. His great grandfather was also a Confederate soldier who was captured and spent several extra years in a Yankee prison because he refused to “pledge allegiance to the United States.” After contracting tuberculosis, he was finally released, where he moved to Texas, married and had ten children. The home that he built burned down in 1982. When he died, he was buried in his Confederate uniform.

2 Comments:

Blogger Rosemary said...

Fascinating family you belong to, Belle. I noticed the reference to Shackleford, and thought you might be interested in this link from AOC.
http://www.cardgems.com/shackelford.shtml

12:18 PM  
Blogger Leigh Ellwood said...

Congrats on your book. I know the feeling to finally experience your writing in print. Nothing like it.

2:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home